Red Dead Redemption 2, like Grand Theft Auto V before it, will be playable in first- or third-person. The third-person camera is the default setting, but you can choose to play from a first-person perspective if you wish.
As was the case with GTA V, the first-person perspective can help bring you into the experience at a deeper level. Riding a horse in first-person gives you a new sense of perspective and place, while combat can feel more confronting. Some wacky stuff can happen, too. In my session, I was walking through town in first-person when I got run over by a horse who was trotting by. With a third-person camera I would have seen it coming.
GTA V launched in 2013 without a first-person option. It was added to the game when GTA V launched years later on Xbox One and PlayStation 4.
For lots more on Red Dead Redemption 2, check out GameSpot’s hands-on preview here where we talk about new missions and discuss some of the new gameplay elements. You can also check out the stories linked below to learn more about Rockstar’s next big game.
- Red Dead Redemption 2: All The New Features
- Red Dead Redemption 2’s New Animal-Skinning Animation Is Unsettling
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Lets You Drift On A Horse
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Has A Selfie Camera
- Here Are Red Dead Redemption 2’s HUD Options
- Red Dead Redemption 2 Will Feature Woody Jackson’s Music Again, And That Is Great News
- You Can Lose Your Hat In Red Dead Redemption 2. And Then You Can Pick Up Another Hat
- Here’s 27 New Red Dead Redemption 2 Screens