The Dawning, Destiny 2‘s holiday-themed event, is always all about gift-giving, just like the Halloween-themed Festival of the Lost is about wearing masks. Activities during the December event usually have you finding and giving gifts to the various characters in Destiny 2, and this year those gifts have a different twist–you’re baking treats for all the game’s major characters.
Destiny 2 is, of course, a game about shooting, so most of your confections will be crafted from the bones (and other parts) of your enemies. As you go marauding through the solar system, you’ll gain items you can stick in a special oven in order to make treats. Eva, the character who puts you on your quest, gives you one recipe for cookies, but the rest you have to find through trial and error–unless you have our guide.
Baking all the goods on Eva’s list and giving them to the people around the Tower will net you an Exotic sparrow, as well as a number of Triumphs. The Dawning runs through the month of December, so there may well be more rewards in store as well, in a similar way to how the Murder Mystery quest of the Festival of the Lost turned out to reward players with Thunderlord. Here’s everything you need to know to bake cookies in Destiny 2, as well as the recipes we’ve uncovered so far. We’ll update this list as more information and more recipes become know.
Get Your Ingredients
The stuff you use to actually make the cookies comes from out in the world and completing various activities. For each batch of cookies, you’ll need three things: a common ingredient, a rare ingredient, and 15 Essence of Dawning.
Killing enemies in the world yields common ingredients based on what kind of enemy you kill; there’s something different for Fallen, Vex, Cabal, Taken, Scorn, and Hive. Rare ingredients drop based on the means of killing enemies. If you use explosives, you might get a Delicious Explosion ingredient; a sword kill could earn you a Sharp Taste. They’re mostly pretty easy to figure out, but a few are a little confusing. Here’s how to get each ingredient.
- Delicious Explosion: Explosive kills
- Sharp Flavor: Sword kills
- Impossible Heat: Solar kills
- Electric Taste: Arc kills
- Null Taste: Void kills
- Flash of Inspiration: Create Orbs of Light
- Personal Touch: Melee kills
- Perfect Taste: Precision kills
- Bullet Spray: SMG and Machine Gun kills
- Essence of Dawning: Complete activities in the solar system
These are the combinations we’ve found that yield specific cookies. Note that you need 15 Essence of Dawning for each recipe in order to make the oven work. We’ll keep updating this list as more recipes are discovered.
- Gjallardoodles (deliver to Zavala): Ether Cane, Delicious Explosion
- Infinite Forest Cakes (deliver to Failsafe): Vex Milk, Impossible Heat
- Gentleman’s Shortbread (deliver to Devrim Kay): Ether Cane, Perfect Taste
- Vanilla Blades (deliver to Shaxx): Cabal Oil, Sharp Flavor
- Radiolarian Pudding (deliver to Asher): Vex Milk, Electric Flavor
- Eliksni Birdseed (deliver to Hawthorne): Ether Cane, Personal touch
- Chocolate Ship Cookies (deliver to Holliday): Cabal Oil, Null Taste
- Telemetry Tapioca (deliver to Banshee-44): Vex Milk, Bullet Spray
- Traveler Donut Holes (deliver to Ikora): Cabal Oil, Flash of Inspiration
- Javelin Mooncake (deliver to Ana Bray): Chitin Powder, Sharp Flavor
- Dark Chocolate Motes (deliver to the Drifter): Taken Butter, Null Flavor
- Alkane Dragee Cookies (deliver to Sloane): Chitin Powder, Bullet Spray
Don’t Throw Away Your Failures!
If you create a recipe combination that doesn’t work, you’ll get Burned Edge Transit cookies. You’ll lose whatever ingredients you put in, plus your Essence of Dawning that you needed to do the cooking. But just because your cookies are horrible doesn’t mean these are a total loss. You can’t get your lost ingredients back, but you can reclaim the Essence, which is something since every batch of cookies you make costs 15 Essence, and you need to complete activities to get more.
To get your Essence of Dawning back, head to the Tower and talk to the Cryptarch. He’ll accept your burnt cookies as gifts and trade you back 15 Essence–the complete cost of cooking the bad batch. You can then immediately try a new recipe if you’ve got the ingredients, without having to go find a Public Event or some other activity to complete.
Earning Your Sleigh
To unlock the Dawning Cheer sparrow, you need to make a few specific cookies, as well as 12 batches in total. To unlock it to start, make Vanilla Blades, Chocolate Ship Cookies, and Eliksni Birdseed using the recipes above. Once you’ve delivered them, you’ll unlock the sparrow.
After you’ve got the sparrow, you can set about repairing it to complete a Triumph. We’ll update this section when we figure out the deal there.